Friday, May 12, 2006

To Be A Kid Again...



it is a rainy, gross day and yet the peace that God gives is still evident to me... what a neat place to be... (did i just say neat?) anywho as i walked into the school i saw a class of younger kids running to the gym for their phys ed class... the looks on their faces was priceless... innocence... what was on their mind??? get to the gym, get to the gym, get to the gym... the excitement was written all over them...

yet as i say this unrestricted, overwhelming, uncontrolled joy i got to thinking about what happens as they got older... even as teens they will face choices that i may have not even faced yet and the heartbreak that could be theirs to deal with scares me... then i thought about these little ones and what they may face as adults someday... to be honest it broke my heart thinking about it...

then i was challenged... for whatever reason, God has called me to stay on Grand Manan and invest myself into the young people here... the crazy thing to me is that there is influence that God has given me too... this i may never understand, but i am thankful... i want to pray like nehemiah as i think of this... God, increase my favor with man in this place... as i think of a potential youth/rec center, as i think of hurting teens, as i think of little children who don't even know what is headed their way i am challenged... with great blessing comes great responsibility...

i have said this before, but it was in regards to finances and the gulf coast... now i am definately not in a place of financial greatness, but God has blessed me in other areas of life... in the past i have had amazing youth leaders that believed in me and did not give up on me, even when i was a jerk... now today, i have a group of amazing friends who support me in the good and bad and in my good and bad... so the challenge for me is this: will i walk in faith, whatever that means, doing what God wants me to do on this island... as He increases my favor, my influence with people, will i be obedient???

will we as God's people stop buying the lies and walk confidently and boldly as God directs... as i think back to these little ones scrambling to gym class without a care in the world, God asked me, "Are you ready to make an impact?"

Are we???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to read an uplifting post, Leightony. Happy days are here again?! The strength of the Lord is our joy.

Cassidy said...

I better be one of those "amazing friends" your talking about. Or else i'll sick my mutant swans on you.