Friday, February 16, 2007

40 Days of Praise: Day 20

Today's note of praise is something that I have not been thankful for for a long time. This past week we celebrated a familiar holiday to all of us which wells up good, gushy emotionns in some and bad, bitter emotions in others. That's right boys and girls, I am talking about Scottie's birthday eve otherwise known as Valentines Day. In the past and a lot over this past year the thought of that day or lovey dovey couples in general made my skin crawl, but God has been doing something in me this week. For some reason I have appreciated my singleness over this past couple of weeks more than ever. I don't know if I can fully explain that because I am not sure where this transformation is coming from, but it is kind of cool I guess. It also dawned on me again last night as I was sitting amongst a group of friends eating way too much birthday cake and peanut butter cookies. As I scanned the room of 10-12 people all were couples except me and one other. Now just a few months ago (around Christmas break) I sat in the same type of situation and left the group of people at one of the lowest points that I have been at emotionally. All I could see is what these people had and what I did not. It was brutal on my head and my heart. Yet as I sat there last night, not only did I have a peace, but almost a thankfulness for my current dating (or lack there of) situation. This is new, but I like it.

Now don't get me wrong here. I don't think along the same lines as Paul and feel that I am called to be single and life is better that way for all of my days. Also if God were to say to me, "Here she is Scottie. Now do things right this time" I would not complain, but until that day comes I think I may survive if this attitude of thankfullness can stick around. So here it is and to be honest, I can't believe I am saying this"
Thank you God for my singleness. Even though I don't always feel it, it is a gift from You. May I take advantage of this time to invest in others, invest in me, invest in my kids, and in my future mate by prayer and becoming the man that You want me to be. Amen.

No comments: